The 2021 Major League Season has concluded with the Atlanta Braves winning their first title since 1995. Now, it’s time for all 30 teams to strategize and figure out their needs during a hectic offseason. Below are my top 25 MLB free agent predictions this offseason.
- Carlos Correa – SS: There is not a better MLB Free Agent available on the market than Correa. He is in line for a huge payday that will likely lead him away from the Astros. As of last night, the Astros have offered him a five-year contract worth $160 Million. Aside from the Astros, other teams that are showing interest include the Rangers, Tigers, Twins, and Yankees.
Prediction: Detroit Tigers sign Correa to 10 years, $310 Million
- Corey Seager – SS: This free agent class is the year of the Shortstops and Seager is next on that list. When healthy, he is another one of the premier Shortstops in Baseball but that’s his only issue – staying healthy. Still, for his production and impact on your team, he is most certainly worth the money.
Prediction: New York Yankees sign Seager to 7 years, $240 Million
- Kris Bryant – 3B: There are no questions about it – the Giants will be aggressive this offseason and will try to re-sign Bryant. The issue is, they will not be the only ones aggressive in signing Bryant. He will be patient in the signing process but will have no shortage of suitors no matter how long he takes.
Prediction: Texas Rangers sign Bryant to 7 years, $260 Million
- Trevor Story – SS: One of the more underrated Shortstops in the game, Story had another excellent year in Colorado. Story is from Irving, TX and all signs point towards the Rangers and Astros. With the Rangers predicted to get Bryant, it’ll be interesting to see if they sign Story as well.
Prediction: Houston Astros sign Story to 6 years, $180 Million
- Max Scherzer – SP: In terms of length, Scherzer will not get the best deal due to his age but he will certainly get a nice AAV. Scherzer posted a sub-1.00 ERA down the stretch and proved to be a high-level player. Rumor is Mike Trout is convincing the Angels to go after Scherzer hard.
Prediction: Los Angeles Angels sign Max Scherzer to 3 years, $120 Million
- Robbie Ray – SP: The likely Cy Young winner is on the market in Robbie Ray. He bounced back in a big way and almost helped lead Toronto to the playoffs. The Blue Jays will have some serious competition for Ray.
Prediction: San Francisco Giants sign Robbie Ray to 5 years, $125 Million
- Freddie Freeman – 1B: The star of the World Champion Braves, this is one free agent staying home for sure. He deserves the big payday he is due and will most certainly receive that.
Prediction: Atlanta Braves re-sign Freddie Freeman to 5 years, $130 Million
- Clayton Kershaw – SP: Dodgers didn’t extend a QO to Kershaw, but don’t worry he will be back in L.A.
Prediction: Los Angeles Dodgers re-sign Clayton Kershaw to 2 years, $80 Million
- Marcus Semien – SS/2B: After a rough pandemic year, Semien bounced back big with 45 Homers in 2021. Semien’s ability to play both middle-infield spots and offensive prowess will be valuable to any team interested in him.
Prediction: San Francisco Giants sign Marcus Semien to 5 years, $120 Million
- Kevin Gausman – SP: After struggling to start out his career, Gausman bounced back in a nice way for the Giants. He’s in the running for the NL Cy Young award which should reward him with a big payday.
Prediction: Philadelphia Phillies sign Kevin Gausman to 4 years, $90 Million
- Marcus Stroman – SP: Stroman received a qualifying offer from the Mets and capitalized big time. His best year yet, Stroman should be a top priority for the Mets this offseason.
Prediction: New York Mets re-sign Marcus Stroman to 4 years, $85 Million
- Javier Baez – SS/2B: Led the league in strikeouts but still had a nice slash line down the stretch in New York. Baez and Lindor would like to play together, and I think the Mets make that happen.
Prediction: New York Mets re-sign Javier Baez to 4 years, $88 Million
- Nick Castellanos – OF/DH: Castellanos opted out of his remaining deal with the Reds in hopes of a big contract. His defense leaves a lot to desire but his bat is one of the best in the league, making him a better fit in the AL.
Prediction: Texas Rangers sign Nick Castellanos to 4 years, $80 Million
- Starling Marte – OF: Started the season on the IL but ended up with a nice slash line and led the league in stolen bases. Despite his age, can still make a high-level impact on a contender.
Prediction: Boston Red Sox sign Starling Marte to 3 years, $65 Million
- Noah Syndergaard – SP: He’s pitched two games in the past two seasons due to Tommy John surgery. There are questions surrounding his value but no doubts about his talent.
Prediction: New York Mets re-sign Noah Syndergaard with Qualifying offer
- Kyle Schwarber – OF/1B/DH: Having one of his better seasons yet, Schwarber played himself to a multi-year deal. He is limited in terms of position, with his best fit being at DH. Maybe we see universal DH come into effect sometime in the near-future.
Prediction: Philadelphia Phillies sign Kyle Schwarber to 3 years, $60 Million
- Carlos Rodon – SP: After being non-tendered last offseason, Rodon bounced back in a big way and pitched himself into the Cy Young conversation. Unfortunately, his injury history knocks him down his list as he dealt with arm fatigue down the stretch in 2021.
Prediction: Chicago White Sox re-sign Carlos Rodon to 2 years, $34 Million
- Justin Verlander – SP: Recovered now from Tommy John Surgery, Verlander is ready to pitch after missing all of 2021. There will still be plenty of suitors looking to add the veteran righty to bolster their rotation.
Prediction: Detroit Tigers sign Justin Verlander to 2 years, $40 Million
- Chris Taylor – UTIL: A very Ben Zobrist-like player, Taylor provides a ton of value as a Utility guy. He had an outstanding postseason once again and is in line to get nice contract for once.
Prediction: Toronto Blue Jays sign Chris Taylor to 4 years, $52 Million
- Michael Conforto – OF: After a down 2021, it’ll be interesting to see what Conforto’s market will look like. Once rumored to be a $100+ Million player, Conforto’s value plummeted. He is still one of the better fielders in the Outfield and has a ton of talent in his bat.
Prediction: New York Mets re-sign Michael Conforto with Qualifying offer
- Anthony Rizzo – 1B: Rizzo didn’t have his traditional year on Offense, but he still produced well enough and offers you consistency in his health. He wants to be back in Pinstripes next year, according to a family member close to him.
Prediction: New York Yankees sign Anthony Rizzo to 2 years, $26 Million
- Brandon Belt – 1B: If Belt were to leave the Giants it would be a huge surprise.
Prediction: San Francisco Giants re-sign Brandon Belt to 2 years, $24 Million
- Raisel Iglesias – RP: He’s been one of the better relievers in Baseball over the past couple years. The Angels could obviously use him and will want him back but Iglesias will have a lot of interest.
Prediction: Seattle Mariners sign Raisel Iglesias to 3 years, $30 Million
- Kenley Jansen – RP/CL: Jansen bounced back in a big way in 2021 after struggling for a couple years. He is still one of the more dependable Closers in Baseball and will be a suitor for contenders around the league.
Prediction: Los Angeles Angels sign Kenley Jansen to 2 years, $30 Million
- Jon Gray – SP: The Rockies didn’t extend a Qualifying offer to Gray, making him an immediate free agent. Gray has a lot of talent who was in a bad situation in Colorado. He won’t be costly so he will be sure to have a good bit of interest.
Prediction: Washington Nationals sign Jon Gray to 3 years, $33 Million
Others who missed cut:
- Nelson Cruz – DH: Seattle Mariners sign Nelson Cruz to 1 year, $11 Million
- Eduardo Rodriguez – SP: Boston Red Sox re-sign Eduardo Rodriguez to 3 years, $27 Million
- Eddie Rosario – UTIL: Atlanta Braves re-sign Eddie Rosario to 2 years, $14 Million
- Kyle Seager – 3B: New York Yankees sign Kyle Seager to 2 years, $10 Million
- Avisail Garcia – OF: Seattle Mariners sign Avisail Garcia to 2 years, $14 Million
- Seiya Suzuki – OF: Chicago Cubs sign Seiya Suzuki to 2 years, $10 Million