As the 2021 season comes to a conclusion, it’s time to look at important dates on the league calendar heading into the 2022 NFL season.
Dates to remember on the 2022 NFL league calendar
19th: HBCU Legacy Bowl
1-7: NFL Combine
8: Deadline for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition tag players
- From noon EST on March 14 and ending at 3:59:59 p.m., EST on March 16, clubs can contact, and enter into contract negotiations with, agents of players who will become unrestricted free agents at 4:00 p.m. EST on March 16.
- A prospective UFA who is not represented by an NFLPA Certified Contract Advisor is permitted to communicate directly with a new club’s front office officials, excluding the head coach and other members of the club’s coaching staff, regarding contract negotiations.
- No prospective unrestricted free agent can sign a contract with a team until 4:00 p.m. EST, on March 16.
16: New league year and free agency begin
27-30: Annual league meeting
4: NFL teams who hired a new coach after the end of the 2021 regular season may begin offseason workout programs
18: Offseason workouts begin
20: Deadline to bring in draft-eligible prospects for physical examinations
22: Deadline for restricted free agents (RFA) to sign offer sheets
27: Deadline for prior NFL teams to exercise Right of First Refusal to restricted free agents. Deadline to time, test, and interview draft-eligible players.
28-30: NFL Draft
- Deadline for prior club to send “May 2 Tender” to its unsigned Unrestricted Free Agents.
- If the player has not signed with a team by July 22, or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp, they may negotiate or sign a contract from that date until the Tuesday following the 10th weekend of the regular season, at 4:00 p.m., New York time, only with his prior club.
- Deadline for clubs to exercise fifth-year option for players selected in the first round of the 2022 NFL Draft.
6-9 OR 13-16: Rookie mini-camp
16: Rookie Football Developmental Program
19-22 (tentative): NFLPA Rookie Premier
23-25: Spring league meeting
- Deadline for prior club to send “June 1 Tender” to its unsigned Restricted Free Agents who received a qualifying offer for a right of first refusal, only in order for such player to be subject to the CBA’s “June 15 Tender” provision.
- Deadline for teams to withdraw qualifying offer to Restricted Free Agents and still retain exclusive negotiating rights by substituting “June 15 Tender” of one-year contract at 110 percent of the player’s prior-year Paragraph 5 Salary (with all other terms of his prior-year contract carried forward unchanged).
Follow Hussam Patel on TwitterTweet